In a country like South Africa, sunscreen is non-negotiable. Many people will only focus on adding sunscreen to their daily beauty regime in the summer months. The reality is that you should be wearing a good quality sunscreen every day, not just in summer. The sun doesn’t only shine in the warmer months, but all year round, especially here in sunny South Africa.
If you are wondering why you should be adding this step to your daily routine, here are 7 reasons we think are important.
- It protects you from UV Rays, which are harmful. Sunscreen blocks the harmful rays from penetrating your skin and possibly triggering skin disorders. It is important to make sure that you still get your daily dose of Vitamin D, just do it safely.
- It can prevent premature aging. Researchers say that people below the age of 55 who used sunscreen had 24% less chance of developing aging signs than those who did not use sunscreen.
- Reduces red blotches on your face. Applying sunscreen can prevent the onset of redness and those little red veins that are prone to erupting.
- It prevents sunburn. Yes, this is an obvious reason to apply sunscreen daily. But every time your skin burns it weakens. If it is really bad then your skin could end up peeling, swelling and blisters can form. None of this is beneficial to your skin.
- Sunscreen can improve the health of your skin. Sunscreen protects essential skin proteins like collagen, keratin, and elastin. Find a sunscreen that has titanium dioxide, this has added benefits for your skin.
How to choose a sunscreen.
- Read the ingredients This is always a good idea for any beauty product you are going to put on your skin. A good sunscreen should contain; titanium dioxide, otyl methoxycinnimate, avobenzone, and zinc oxide.
- Find a broad-spectrum sunscreen that is hypoallergenic. These creams will protect you from the UV rays while safeguarding from clogged pores, acne, and rashes.
- Opt of a sunscreen that is waterproof and at least SPF 30.
- Apply your sunscreen at least 30 minutes before you go outside and if you are outdoors for extended periods, reapply!
If you are not applying sunscreen every day, you need to start. There are way more benefits to adding it than not, so what harm can it do, right?
Don’t forget to browse our store for some of the best makeup and makeup brushes you will find.