When was the last time you did something for yourself?
We all know how important self-care is but more often than not, it is not something we prioritize. This year has been one of the most stressful and self-care is now more important than ever. In between juggling work and life in the time of a pandemic and managing kids and family commitments, taking care of yourself often gets pushed further and further down the list. The good news is that self-care doesn’t have to take a lot of time.
Spending a few minutes a day focused completely on yourself can make a huge difference in your overall mental health. So we have put together some of our favourite self-care tips that you can easily add to your daily routine.
- Meditate: We don’t mean full on Deepak Chopra meditation for an hour. Sitting in a quiet place (even if it is your bathroom), and focusing on your breathing for at least 5 minutes allows you to calm down and quieten down your thoughts, allowing you to recharge a little. Take a deep breath in for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, and breath out. Repeat this 4 times and you will notice how refreshed you feel after you are done.
- Play music. Loud and on repeat. Music is a natural mood enhancer. So put your favourite songs and have a solo dance party, shaking you booty like no one is watching. Get your family in on the action, it will life everyone’s mood!
- Get outside. If you spend a lot of time sitting at your computer, schedule time to get up and go for a walk, outside! You will get some much needed Vitamin D and be able to enjoy some fresh air.
- Develop an attitude of gratitude. Focusing on gratitude can shift your mindset and allows positivity to flow into your life. Set aside time every single day to write down 5 things you are grateful for. These do not have to be big things they can be small things that you are grateful for like a good cup of coffe enjoyed in silence, or watching the birds in your garden. Once you start focusing on gratitude you will start to see just how much you have in your life.
- Do some some yoga (or go for a run). If working out is your vibe, make sure it is a daily part of your life. Go for a daily run around the block or do a short yoga session if time is limited. Find an activity that you enjoy, it must be something you want to do.
- Read. Reading relaxes your brain, so instead of scrolling Facebook before you fall asleep, read for an hour. If you read before you fall asleep you will sleep better and you will wake up feel more refreshed.
- Drink more water. This might not sound like self-care but staying hydrated is so important for your overal well-being. Staying hydrated keeps headaches at bay, improves kidney functioning and helps you to eat less! So keep the water flowing.
- Dress up in your favorite outfit. Even if you are no working from home and have little contact with people – get dressed up! Put on your favourite pair of pants or top, put your make up and feel amazing!
- Meet a friend for coffee. Get out the house and meet a friend for a cup of coffee! Don’t do this as a once off when you are feeling down, make it a regular priorty. Order your favourite drink, put your phone on silent and immerse yourself in the moment with your friend.
- Get your nails/hair done or get a massage! If this is something that brings you joy, make the time for it. When you arrive to your appointment, turn your phone off and take the time for yourself!
The most important thing to do is to take the time for yourself. It doesn’t really matter what you do as long as you want to do it and it allows you to completely shut off from the stresses and anxieties of daily life.