Maintaining a daily skin care routine can be hard. Most women do wash their face daily but often skip the toning, cleansing or even moisturizing. If you lead a busy life it you might feel like you just don’t have the time. While this may be true, the reality is that the more you attention you give to your give, the better the results you will see.
Your skin takes a beating during the day without you even feeling it – pollution, dust, dirt, makeup and harsh weather conditions all have an impact on your skin and if you aren’t cleaning your skin properly every day you are basically leaving all of that nasty stuff on your face.
We know, deep down, you know how important a good skin care routine is but we also know it can be hard finding the right one for you and your specific needs.
So we have put together some simple routines for all different types of skins.
Skincare Routine: Normal Skin
- Cleansing: This is the most important step. It is the step that you use to remove bacteria and dirt. It should be done twice a day. When you are choosing a cleanser, make sure you find one that is for normal skin.
- Exfoliating: Exfoliating allows you to remove excess dead skin from your skin so that the new skin cells can grow. If dead cells are not removed they clog up your pores and this can lead to blackheads and breakouts (and no one wants that). This does not need to be done daily but rather only 2-3 times a year.
- Toning: Using a toner helps you to keep your skins pH at 7. The alkalinity of your skin is what leads it to becoming dry or oily, which is why it is a good idea to apply toner daily.
- Moisturize: This is also a very important part of your skin care regime. Invest in a good moisturizer that has been formulated for your skin type.
- Protection: Sunscreen is not optional, even in winter. Once you have applied your moisturizer, apply a sunscreen that is SPF 50.
Skincare Routine: Dry Skin
- Cleansing: If you have dry skin, avoid using harsh cleaners as these will dry your skin out even more. Try to find a lotion based cleanser that has been designed to hydrate your skin.
- Exfoliating: While it is important to exfoliate, those with dry skins need to find gentle exfoliators, you can even consider making your own scrubs as these are generally gentler on your skin.
- Facial oils: These oils are ideal for hydrating your skin. These oils have been designed to moisturize your skin without making your skin overly oily. When you apply the oils, massage them into your skin.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing your skin is not optional if you have dry skin. You must make sure you apply a moisturizer for dry skin in the morning and in the evening before you go to bed.
- Protection: Like with normal skin this step is so very important, don’t skip it.
Skincare Routine: Oily Skin
- Cleansing: When it comes to oily skin, double cleansing is a great way to help clean oily skin. This involves switching between oil based cleansers and water cleaners. The oil based cleansers will clean dirt and makeup and they also help to break down excess oil. Water based cleansers draw out sweat, dirt and excess oils.
- Clay or Charcoal face masks: Those with oily skins need to add clay or charcoal face masks or scrubs to their routine, this works well to exfoliate your skin. Remember when you are looking for a mask, make sure you use one that has been formulated for oily skin.
- Moisturize: It might seem logical to skip this step if you have oily skin but this is simply not true. If your skin lacks hydration it will start producing more sebum, so applying moisturizer will actually prevent extra sebum from being produced. It is important to opt for a lightweight moisturizer though, again one that has been designed for oily skins.
- Protection: It doesn’t really matter your skin type, you always need to apply sunscreen!.